A low fat, oil free, slow simmered tomato & basil sauce with my favourite chargrilled veggies. I took advantage of using wholewheat spaghetti and threw in a handful of meat free mince for extra fibre and protein. A really tasty, no fuss, really wholesome dish that kept me feeling full for hours!
Ingredients – Serves 2
1 tin of chopped or plum tomatoes
1/2 cup passata
1 tsp dried basil
1 heaped cup of chopped mixed vegetables (I used spanish onion, courgette, peppers aubergine and cherry tomatoes)
150g Wholewheat Spaghetti
1/2 cup frozen meat free mince
8 torn fresh basil leaves + extra for garnish
1. Pour the tin of tomatoes, passata and dried basil into a saucepan and heat until bubbling. Season with salt & pepper, put the lid on an simmer on its lowest setting for 30 mins.
2. Spray a baking tray with fry light, scatter over the veg, season with salt and black pepper and grill or bake on a high heat for around 20 mins, stirring occasionally until charred – then keep warm
3. Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions until ‘al-dente’, drain and keep warm (lid on)
4. Throw the frozen meat free mince into the tomato sauce to heat through. Add a little water if the sauce looks very thick. Add the chargrilled veg and stir. Check for seasoning. Stir in the cooked spaghetti & gently stir to combine.
5. Divide into two pasta bowls, season with freshly milled black pepper & sprinkle over some extra fresh basil to serve.
Slimming World – Food Optimisers can enjoy this dish synfree!