I love pesto, so it was nice to recreate it without using oil, nuts or dairy for a super tasting, low fat, gluten free, vegan friendly variation. Only takes around 20 mins to make in total!
Ingredients – Serves 2
For the salad
200g canned chickpeas, drained
1/2 a small red onion, diced
2 large salad tomatoes, diced
1/2 a fresh yellow pepper, diced
25g of raw red cabbage, finely sliced
4 asparagus spears, blanched & halved
4 tbsp of Hellmann’s Fat Free Vinaigrette
a few torn basil leaves to serve
For the Pesto Penne
150g Morrisons Free From Brown Rice Penne Pasta
1/3 pack of fresh baby spinach (approx 50g)
1 pack of fresh cut basil (31g or use 4-5 full stalks & leaves from a living herb pot)
1 tbsp Engevita nutritional yeast flakes with B12
1. Cook the Pasta according to pack instructions
2. Prepare the salad. Combining all ingredients into a bowl, add the vinaigrette, season with salt & pepper and let the flavours infuse.
3. Pop all the pesto ingredients into a food processor and whizz until very finely chopped. (Check out the aroma!)
4. Drain the pasta and whilst still hot & damp, tip in the pesto and stir gently to evenly distribute. Season with salt & pepper.
5. Divide the pasta with the chickpea salad on top, equally between 2 plates, garnish with a few torn basil leaves & serve.
Pasta & salad are syn free, just 1 syn per serving for the nutritional yeast.