Made with simple store cupboard ingredients & taking just 20 minutes to make from scratch, this midweek meal idea is quick & convenient yet bursting with flavour.
Traditionally this dish is made with anchovies but to make it vegetarian/vegan friendly, I decided to use finely crumbled dried nori which really helped give this beautiful dish a taste of the sea!
Ingredients – Serves 2 (Greedy people)
150g of dried Spaghetti (see tip below)
Olive Fry Light
1/2 a small red onion, chopped
1 tbsp Morrisons ‘No Fuss’ Garlic
1 box of Valfrutta Chopped Tomatoes with Chilli (390g)
1/2 a nori sheet, crumbled or very finely chopped
2 tbsp of green capers (in brine, drained on paper towel)
8 whole green pitted olives
8 whole black pitted olives
8 torn, fresh basil leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
To Garnish: 1 tsp dried dill & 1 tsp dried parsley
1. Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions.
2. Spray another pan with fry light, put on a gentle heat and fry the red onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for another minute, stirring often.
3. Pour in the box of tomatoes and nori and stir well. Simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Slice each olive horizonally into 3 pieces and add to the sauce, together with the capers and torn basil leaves. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
5. Turn off the heat and leave the flavours to infuse while you drain the cooked pasta. Pile the pasta into 2 bowls and ladle the sauce on top. Sprinkle with the dried herbs to serve.
Slimming World – Just 1.5 syns per person (for the olives)
Tip! I used Rizopia ‘Free From’ Organic Brown Rice Spaghetti as a Gluten Free alternative but you can use any, preferably wholewheat for the extra fibre.